Monday, April 14, 2008

Mashups

The British Library's map presentation is a great way to make their maps available and interesting. I liked Keir Clarke's tourism site linking maps with videos and the Voice Thread site provides plenty of inspiration for local studies enthusiasts.

Big Huge Labs was a bit of fun. The calendar & framer are pretty basic (not enough control over cropping the image or adding a caption), but the mosaic maker could make great themed posters for library displays. I particularly like the palette generator - a wonderful idea for people like me who are artistically challenged!

I used the Mapmaker to show the countries I've visited, but again, I'd like more control over the size & cropping of the map (and of course, Australia & S.E.Asia is not available as a regional area)


Adventure Task
As I was searching this Web Mashup Directory it occurred to me that I have been using mashups already. A lot of gadgets & widgets like the local weather displayed on a Google homepage are actually mashups (I think?). And I found Gurulib listed as a mashup, so of course the Library Thing must be one too. I particularly liked this London Photo Project. It combines a blog and a mashup using Google Maps & photos to walk the routes of the Underground Railway lines. Libraries & museums could perhaps use this format for "then & now" guided local history walks.

1 comment:

Hagar said...

Have enjoyed looking at your Blog. Your comments are well considered, very thorough & quite scholarly by comparison to my jottings.
Thanks from Hagar 2