Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Library Thing & friends

I enjoyed del.icio.us and had no problems opening an account & book marking some sites. Social book marking seems like a great way of sharing good sites with other staff, although using any word that comes to mind for a tag instead of a proper subject listing is going to take a bit of getting used to.

Searching Technorati was interesting. The “bookmobile” search produced a lot less postings with the tag search than with the general search, and the search for “nswpln2008” had me bewildered because there were no posts or blogs. Thank you for the hint about our photos being there - I might never have noticed the tab labelled “Photos” otherwise!

I didn’t understand the information about tagging in Technorati and the reference to pasting html. How is this different from the normal tags attached to each blog post? I also couldn’t get Technorati to find my blog. I tried the advanced search using my blog url and a keyword I knew was there. I even “claimed’ my blog, and still no luck. I wonder what it is I haven’t understood?

Found this great site to easily make buttons for bookmarking & rss feeds to add to a blog. http://www.addthis.com/ I don’t expect anyone to be interested in doing either of these things for this blog, but I had to prove I could add the buttons.

It was a relief to move on to the LibraryThing after my fruitless efforts with Technorati. I had no trouble adding some books to my account, but had to resist the urge to spend hours and hours looking around and adding lots and lots of books! I’ve already introduced several patrons to the site, and they thought it was wonderful, especially the recommendations lists.

The LibraryThing group forum for library staff was fascinating. If you think you have had a bad day, try reading this topic - Creepy requests from patrons - guaranteed to make your day seem better!

(My apologies to you all at nswpln for the length of this. I know how much reading you must be doing, but sometimes 150 words is just not enough!)

No comments: