Friday, April 25, 2008

Online Applications

What a lot of free stuff there is out there!

I used Zamzar to convert a Word document to pdf, and also to html. I have always thought that one of the reasons to use pdf format was to maintain the integrity of a document so I was surprised to discover that Zamzar would also convert a pdf document into Word format. It made a 1.3MB pdf file into a hefty 13MB Word document, but it maintained the correct layout and fonts pretty well.

The recommended Slideshare presentation provided a good insight into the sorts of free things available and I thought this slideshow I found was interesting too. I've been feeling a bit swamped by all this new technology and how to apply it at work and I was pleased to find some constructive advice here.

Thumbstacks was ok, but I thought Google's slideshow presentation was easier to use - simple, quick, and translated well back to Powerpoint. This would be a very useful tool for personal use without the expense of buying Powerpoint.

I'm not sure how I see these applications being used at work. Our intranet already allows us to share files such as the staff roster which can be viewed by all and modified by several authorised people. Maybe our experiences with this course will encourage file sharing for a wider range of things.

Adventure task
Zoho has a lot more to offer than Google Docs. Lots more options within the word processor, and the slideshow maker, and the ability to build web pages. I think there will be people attracted to Zoho because of all these extra things, but I think there will be just as many people who prefer Google because of the simplicity of the programs it offers.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for your comments this week - it is great the way you are really looking at options for using these tools.

Ellen (PLS)