Monday, March 17, 2008

Wikipedia

I made a quick entry in the Learning 2.0 wiki. That seemed pretty straightforward so I thought I would have a look at Wikipedia and the adventure task.

I read the Information Today article What to Do With Wikipedia. I like the “if you can’t beat them, join them” ideas put forward in the article and encouraged by Wikipedia itself. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:School_and_university_projects).

Libraries already play a role in helping people assess the quality of the information they find, and perhaps contributing to something like Wikipedia is just an extension of that role.

I looked up my township in Wikipedia and found a small entry - a “stub” in need of expansion. What an invitation to a local history buff! Started to read the tutorial, then realised that there are not enough hours in the day, and that once started, I may not know when to stop! When do people find time to do all this?



Of course, when I find time it is always with an owl - now how is that for an excuse to add a picture?

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pls@slnsw said...

With the time issue I think some of it is about thinking differently about how we work.

Ellen